Tuesday 22 March 2011

L'Oreal Sublime Mousse Product Review

I absolutely hate having to dye my hair out of a bottle. Accidental drips on the carpet, mess left in the sink, numerous towels ruined and not to mention the hours I've spent scrubbing at my hairline trying to remove dye that has gone over the edge (Is it true that milk works the best?!) 

In fact, one of the last times I used a bottle dye, my little dog Sprout stood in a splodge that I had split and proceeded to trot around the house giving everywhere a little bit of 'darkest brown.' Permanently. 


Here is the little scamp!
Yes, with all that to deal with, I much prefer the salon option. Sit back, relax - magazine and a peppermint tea.  

But wait. Money. Damn - there is always a catch. 

So, bearing in mind a salon visit was out of the question, I was really intrigued to see L'Oreal's new Sublime Mousse pop onto the market not too long ago. Could it make my bottle experience any better?
 At £6.99 from Superdrug it is priced with its competitors. As I like my hair super dark, I have chosen shade 30 - Pure Darkest Brown.

Inside the box:
  • Liquid-to-Mousse Colourant
  • Liquid-to-Mousse Developer
  • Detached foaming pump
  • Conditioning Balm
  • Pair of Gloves
  • Instructions 
 
The Application: All seems fairly straight forward when setting things up - there is the usual ' put a towel over your shoulders and mix the colourant with the developer. No shaking is required though - you actually have to rotate the bottle gently. Once you do this, the product will dispense like a foam and you are ready to roll! 

Here is one of the first benefits of Sublime Mousse. No sectioning the hair. Just pump out two-three balls of foam into your hand and then put them straight onto your hair. It really is that easy - keep doing the same thing, massaging your scalp as you go. The lather gets thicker and I can immediately see why L'Oreal have been able to liken it to shampooing. And another benefit, no dripping (yippee!)

Even chanced it in a white dressing gown!

I use most of the product (there is a little left in the bottle but I am told to expect that) and wait the 30 minutes until my hair is ready to be rinsed. It was great not to have to faff around timing 10 minutes then a further 5 etc. All very simple.  

(If you are new to home colouring or would like to see L'Oreal's take on how to apply the Sublime Mousse click HERE.)

Rinsing and the Final Result:

After the 30 minutes - which, unlike previous times, I left the bathroom and was able to relax - I rinsed my hair until the water ran clear. I knew what was to come next and I approached with caution. I intensely dislike the conditioners that come with hair dyes. Not because of their conditioning qualities but because of their most dreadful smells. I wondered if this, being a new product, might be any different. Alas, it was vile. I did say to myself that I would try to use it for the sake of the review, but I'm sorry, I just couldn't. Instead, I used my favourite Kerastase conditioning mask.


Colour Results:
Before

After 


Err...Yup my hair REALLY needs a cut...
My conclusion then. Well, very positive on the whole. No tedious sectioning and parting of the hair needed so it scores highly on ease of use. Call me a cynic, but the foam wasn't just a gimmick as I had initially envisaged. Another plus point, which I haven't yet mentioned, is that there is no nasty ammonia smell like the majority of hair dyes seem to have. I also like the colour - it is generally what I'd expect and I'm happy with it. Would I buy this again? Yes I think I would. 

Now, considering I have saved so much money by not going to the salon, I think I deserve a new dress right? I've been so good!

Hope you've enjoyed this post. If you have, come and follow me! (Button on the right somewhere)

Ciao for now x

No comments:

Post a Comment